Mushroom Thokku for rice, Rotis. Spicy and tasty Kalan thokku made with thakkali(Tomato) and button mushrooms. If you are looking for a Simple thooku recipe without using sambar powder for rasam rice, sambar this would be a great option. This is something spicy thokku variety since mushrooms have bland tasty I made it something spicy that goes well with Rotis or phulka too. If you are a Mushroom Lover I have lots of Mushroom recipes on my blog. Also How to clean Mushrooms steps by step process before proceeding to the recipe follow the steps, clean the mushrooms.
Looking for something simple-sidedish that can be made for 15 to 25 mins, this thokku is very easy to make. You can make this thooku and store it for a week.
About this Mushroom thokku(Kalan in Tamil). It tomato-based recipe, so use well ripen tomato for best result, you can check more thokku recipes like, Kathirikai mangai puli thokku, Kothamalli Thokku, Thakkali Thokku, Mangai Thokku, Nellikai thokku, Pavakkai Thokku recipe
Use button mushroom variety to make this thooku, brown or white mushroom is fine. wash and clean the mushrooms, keep them aside.
Whatever thokku recipe, always chop the onion or tomato finely for the best result. You can also use tomato puree to save time.
How to make Mushroom Thokku, Recipe Card
- 200g mushrooms
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped finely
- 3 tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 2 dried red chilies
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ⅓ tsp turmeric powder,
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp jaggery
- Wash & Clean Mushrooms and then Chop.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil, add 1 tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp urad dal, 2 dried red chilies. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped, saute till turn golden.
- Add 3 tomatoes finely chopped saute well till it turns soft & mushy.
- add 2 tsp chili powder, ⅓ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt mix well. Cover and cook for 4 to 5mins till the raw smell goes & oil oozes on top.
- Add 200g of chopped mushrooms(Kalan) and sprinkle some water, cover and cook on medium to heat for 3 mins or till it turns soft & oil separates.
- Finally, add a tsp of jaggery. switch off the stove and thokku ready!!.
- Serve it with hot Phulka or Chapati, It goes well simply with rice too.
Cook the mushrooms nicely after adding the masala, till the oil separates. so that the raw smell will go off.
Mushroom Thokku Recipe for rice, Step by step Kalan Thokku Recipe
Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil, add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1/2 tsp urad dal, 2 dried red chilies, curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add 2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped, saute till turn golden.
Add 3 tomatoes finely chopped, 1 tsp salt saute well cover & cook till it turns soft & mushy. (IT IS IMPORTANT TO COOK THE TOMATOES NICE SO THAT THE THOKKU WILL TASTES GOOD, IF YOU FEEL TOMATOES ARE NOT RIPEN YOU CAN GRIND IT AND ADD THE PUREE TOO, MAKE SURE THAT IT COOKS NICELY)
add 2 tsp chili powder, ⅓ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp salt mix well. Cover and cook for 4 to 5mins till the raw smell goes & oil oozes on top.(THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU NEED TO COOK THE MASALA TILL THE RAW SMELL GOES & OIL SEPERATE OTHERWISE YOU WILL FEEL THE MASALA SMELL WHILE EATING)
Add 200g of chopped mushrooms(Kalan).
sprinkle some water(ADD 2 OR 3 TBSP WATER NOT MORE THAN THAT BECAUSE AFTER ADDING SALT MUSHROOMS WILL LEAVE WATER), cover, and cook on medium to heat for 3 mins or till it turns soft & oil separates.
Finally, add a tsp of jaggery(ADDING JAGGERY AR THE FINAL STEP GIVES NICE GLOSSY LOOK OF THE THOKKU AND ALSO IT WILL ENHANCE THE TASTE). switch off the stove and thokku ready!!.
Serve it with hot Phulka or Chapati, It goes well simply with rice too.
SPICY & TASTY MUSHROOM TOKKU IS READY TO SERVE, IT goes well with hot steaming rice or sambar Sadam, rasam Sadam.
Have a Good Day Makkale!!!