During Onam 2016 many of us may make “Payasam” which is a very important dish which is Present in Onasadya feast. Generally, onam sadya people make varieties of Payasam but this Paal Payasam Recipe is a unique type of Kerala Payasam made of Unakkalari(Payasam rice) also called chemma pachar.
The delicious Paal Payasam is very rich and Creamy because of the Paal(milk ) is in the form of Very thick called Paal Kurukiyathu. Milk is almost cooked with rice for 30 mins to make it thicker and creamier. To make the ‘process Simple and Easy I have made this in Paal Payasam in Pressure Cooker. Maybe this is a shortcut method of Paal Payasam Making in Uruli but no compromise in taste almost same taste.
Being a Tamilian making Kerala Style dishes for Onam is really challenging. My Malu friends are helping me and Supporting me to make it successful. Each and every dishes am tasting at their homes and making them. I hope everyone can make after seeing my videos and pictures.
Athapookolam to Onam Sadya everything I would love to learn. I wanted to wish my friends and readers in Malayalam so quickly asked my friend “How to say Happy Onam in Malayalam” “nanma niranja ponnonam asamsikkunnu“ she replied. Hopefully, I delivered my Onam Wishes to you all 🙂
Ambalappuzha Paal Payasam is made by a friend and we both clicked it together. I really a wonderful experience that I asked many questions while making because I wanted to give a proper recipe here. This is a traditional Variety of Paal Payasam makes in Uruli. About 3-litre milk should boil to 1-litre milk to make Payasam. Now a day no one has that much patience but at the same time, we need nice and tasty payasam too. This payasam we can make in almost 30-40 mins. Milk and rice are being cooked for 30 mins in low flame.
To make Pink Paal Payasam we need chemma pachari a rice variety which good for making payasam. It gives nice pink colour to the payasam. I bought this rice here in LuLu HyperMarket KL to make payasam. Do give a try for this Onam and let me know your feedback how it tastes?
Pre-Preparation for making Paal Payasam:
- Take the Chemma Pachari (Payasam Rice) in the mixie cup and Ground it into Coarse Powder. Give just a pulse that enough doesn’t powder it.
- Powder the cardamom and keep aside
- I have used brown sugar,you can try with jaggery or normal sugar. If you are using the Jaggery powder it.
- Roast the Cashews in Ghee and keep aside.
Paal Payasam Recipe, How to make Paal Payasam(kerala Style) in Pressure Cooker:
- 2-litre milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup Rice/Payasam rice/Unakkalari/ chemma pachari(podichathu)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp ghee(to roast cashew)
- 10 Cashewnut
- Take a pan or Uruli, heat the ghee in it.
- Add ½ cup water and let it boil.
- Now add the milk and grounded Payasam Rice, mix well.
- Close the cooker Initially doesn't Put the cooker weight and let it cook for 15-20 mins.
- Once the steam started coming out of the cooker then put the cooker weight. Wait for one whistle to come and then switch off the stove.
- After 5 mins open the cooker lid and you can see the milk become reduced. Thick creamy pasayam is ready to serve.
if you didn't get the payasam rice you can use the normal parboiled rice.
you can use the condensed milk instead normal milk.
Adding ghee makes the rice will not burn at the bottom so add ghee initially.