Kambu Koozh is nothing but ‘Pearl millet’ in English and ‘Bajra’ in Hindi.It is very healthy ,highly nutritious and it can reduce our weight.Bajra is non glutinous and is full of vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in proteins and fiber. Being rich in fiber, it helps in weight loss as it keeps us filler for a longer time. This kambu koozh is known to cool the body, so it is considered a perfect drink during summer.
Pearl millet is high in iron, calcium and vitamin B-complex. Due to the growing awareness of the nutritional benefits of bajra, these days people are trying to include it in their diet.Thus, bajra porridge now become a part of healthy diet.
Koozh is usually made in large batches. The semi-solid koozh is later liquefied for consumption by adding water and salt and, optionally, buttermilk, onion, curry leaves and coriander leaves. It is served with side dishes including green chilis, raw onion, pickles and mango spiced with red chili pepper.
Koozh is often eaten at Mariamman temple festivals across Tamil Nadu. It is made in Large Quantities and served to Public in Amman Temples across the city in Lieu of Aadi Thiruvizha which takes place during the Tamil Month Aadi.
I have used the kambu flour to make this because it reduces our proceesing time as well as healthy too…Lets proceed with the recipe.
|Kumbu Koozh (கம்பு கூழ்) Weight loss and cooler drink Recipe | Summer Specials
Author : Premalatha Aravindhan Category : Hot & cool drinks | summer Recipes Prep time: 10 mins cooking Time: 10 Mins Cuisine : South Indian | Tamil Nadu Yeilds : 4 cups
- If you are using the whole kambu then powder it in mixie and use it.Mix 2 tbsp kambu flour with 1 and 1/2 cup water,mix it thoroughly without lumps.cook on medium flame stirring continuously.Once it starts thickening (like porridge)remove from heat. Allow it to cool.
- To make kambu koozh, mix boiled kambu mix with needed buttermilk and salt. Serve with pearl onions or mor milagai or pickle,raw mangoes or your favorite side dish.
- Here i have used the millet powder to make this koozh,if you are using the whole kambu then grind the kambu coarsely.Add 1 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles then make the koozh by mixing it with butter milk.
- The butter milk and water measurements you can adjust according to your choice.
- We can make it large quantity and store it in fridge for almost a week.Actually the previous day make one more tastier than the freshly made koozh.