Karthigai Deepam is one of the most significant festival that is being celebrated all over Tamilnadu.This year Karthikai Deepam falls on 5th December,2014. Karthigai Deepam is celebrate as a ten day festival and it is widely known as Karthigai Brahmotsavam and celebrated on full moon day of the month.The idea behind this festival is to keep away bad things from life and welcome the good and holy things of life thats why it is called the festival of lamps.We use to light oil lamps all over the house in the evening and crackers,fires are burnt .Apart from light we also make Pori Urundai, nei appam,Nel pori urundai,Kadala Urundai,Payasam and Maavilakku for neivedyam.
Procedure and Pre Preparation for Karthigai Deepam:
1. Make neivedyam like Aval Pori Urundai,Nel Pori Urundai,Kadalai Urundai,Vadam,Payasam
2. Light & Lamps: We can use the silver,brass or copper lamps but the speciality of this festival is lighting the Earthen lamps.Try to buy new earthen lamps every year.If you are using the new Earthen lamps follow these steps.
While buying the earthern lamps check if it has any crack on them.Then immerse in water for aleast one overnight and then let it to dry completely. This helps the lamp not to suck oil and also it wont get broken while we lighting up.
3. If you are using the other lamps clean it without any oil grease on them and make it ready. keep manjal,kungumam on them,put thiri and make ready the lamps and keep it in pooja room.
4. Wash and keep ready all other pooja items.
5. Need to place the lamp all over the house like balconies,compound walls,near the door steps,terrace.
6. We need to light not only on that particular day ,consecutive days also.The third day is called “kuppai Karthigai” so on that day we need lit lamp even on our Washrooms,backyard and everywhere. Make sure that no place should be dark on that day that’s why we have lit everywhere.
i hope these will help the beginners to know how to celebrate karthigai deepam.
The below video helps to know how to roll the pori urundai in a perfect shape and also the sugar syrup consistency to make pori urundai.
The neivedyam recipes or karthigai deepam recipes are as below.
|Pori Urundai||Vermicelli Payasam||Rava Payasam|
|Pasi Paruppu Payasam||Kadala Urundai||Uppam Recipe|
Do try these and enjoy karthigai deepam.
Technorati Tags: Karthigai deepam recipes,Thrivannamalai,karthigai deepam,karthigai deepam 2014,Thirukarthigai deepam recipes,Karthigai deepam festival recipes,Nei appam,Pori urundai video recipe,Maavilakku,Appam recipe,Neivedyam recipes,recipes,Payasam Recipes,Uppsm Recipes