I have started making pickles after coming here because most of the time amma’s pickle get finish off soon and also really hated the store bought one.I have posted garlic Pickle,Maavadu pickle and Cut mango Pickle recipe also.Last month i check my mom “How to make Lemon Pickle” she shared the recipe in phone.After heard that recipe,i thought that it is difficult for me to proceed because of its lengthy process.But she encouraged me to try I exactly followed her tips and procedures and it came so well.Here is the recipe.
20 green chillies(Usi milagai)
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Salt
For Pickle Powder:
10 dry red chillies
1/2 tbsp methi fenugreek seeds
- Wash the lemon ,pat and dry them nicely using a kitchen towel.
- Cut the lemon into two,take out the seeds and then cut it further into 2.
- Remove the seeds using the knife edge otherwise the pickle tastes bitter.
- Take a clean bottle,make sure that the bottle should be moist.If possible keep the bottle in sunlight for 1 hour and then use it for pickling.
- Drop the lemon pieces inside the bottle and then add the turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well,keep it under the sunlight form morning to evening.
- Repeat placing the pickle under sunlight for 3 more days.Now the pickles could have turned a little pale and started soaking.You can see that it started leaving out the juice and its skin also becomes soft.
- After 3 days, take the green chillies and cut the beaks if it is too long.Don’t cut so closer to the head.
- Pat it in a kitchen towel for an hour.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai.Add the green chillies and saute for a minute and remove it from the stove.Don’t let it to cook for long in oil.
- Drop the chillies and mix well with the lemon.Mix well from top to bottom.
- Now dry roast the chillies,hing and mustard seeds.Powder it in mixie.
- Drop the powder into the bottle,mix well.Always use dry ladle to mix the pickle.
- Keep this pickle for a week ,by mixing it at least 2 times a day.
- After a week you can find that the lemon and chillies becomes soft.
- Now heat oil in a kadai and temper mustard seeds,let it to splutter.
- Drop the processed lemon pickle into the kadai and mix well with oil.Leave it for just minute and then remove it from the flame.
- Let it cool for sometime.Then transfer it into a bottle.
- Again keep the bottle in sunlight for 1 more week and now it is ready to use.
- Try to find (usi milagai)small variety of chillies.Taste will be different if you use the other variety.other wise you can make this pickle only with lemon.
- Make sure that the containers and spoon you are using should be dry.
- Take care while dry roasting the fenugreek seeds and red chillies.If it burns,will make the pickle bitter.
- I didn’t use vinegar in this recipe,if you are going to use the pickle for more than 6 months then add a tbsp of vinegar. If you handle it properly vinegar is not required.
- No need to keep the pickle in hot sunlight, just keep it inside the house where you get sunlight.
- Whenever you are taking the pickle for serving just mix it from top to bottom and then take the required quantity so that more oil will not come to the spoon.
Make Pickle at home and enjoy!!!
Have a nice day!!!
Technorati Tags: Lemon Chilli Pickel,Lemon Pickle,Lemon,Pickle Recipe,chili pickle,green chili pickle,Indian pickle recipe,lanka achar,achaar,lankar achar,mirchi achar,mirchi ka achar,mircha achaar,indian hot and spicy pickle recipe,how to make indian pickle,green chili preserve,best chili pickle recipe.accompaniment,bestaccompaniment for curd rice,what to make with green chillies,Usi milagai,Urukai Recipe,Urukai.