Usually i will make Mothagam,Sesame Purana Kozhukattai,Ammini Kozhukattai (recipe coming soon) for Ganesh Chathurthi.My friend Vidhya invited us to her home for varalakshmi nombu.She made both the sweet and the savoury kozhukattai using urad dal.We totally enjoyed it.I thought making this healthy version of kozhukattai for this vinayagar chathurthi and here am sharing the recipe.
For Ulundu filling:
3 –4 Red Chilly (adjust according to your taste)
A spring Curry leaves
A pinch Hing / Asafoetida
Salt to taste
1 tsp Sesame oil
For Outer Cover:
1 cup Rice Flour
2 cups Water
2 tsp Oil
1/3 tsp Salt
How to make Soft Outer Cover :
- Boil the water in a pan along with sesame oil and salt.
- Switch of the stove and then add the prepared rice flour and mix well using the ladle for few minutes.
- Once the dough mixed well,leave it for 2 minutes and again knead it using your hand,till it becomes soft.
- Cover it with a wet cloth otherwise it will get dry.
- Once done crumble it into a plate and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and then temper it by adding hing,mustard seeds,urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add the crumbled dal into the kadai and mix well.
- Finally add the grated coconut and sauté well.Switch off the stove once done.
- Let the dal mix to cool for sometime.
- After few minutes take outer cover dough and make it in bowl shape.Drop a tbsp of dal filling inside it.
- Come close the corners and then slowly close the edges. You can make it on your desired shape.
- Steam it in the idly steamer.
- You can make it like shell shape also.For that you should take a zip lock cover grease it with a drop of oil and flatten the rice dough.
- After that keep the dal in the middle close the edges.
- Steam it in a idly steam.
Do try this and enjoy Vinayagar Chathurthi!!
I am Sending this to Festive Food Ganesh Chathurthi Event Hosted By Priti…
Have a Nice Day!!!