Authentic Iyengar Style Arachuvitta sambar recipe with step by step pictures. Arachuvitta sambar made with freshly ground masala like chana dal, Dried red chili, Freshly grated coconut, coriander seeds. This arachuvitta sambar is also perfect with some idlis, dosas, Pongal, or khichdi. You could dilute the sambar if you want to serve it aside with any of these tiffin items.
Being a South Indian, I make different types of sambar at home. Arachuvitta sambar is something very close to my heart because I learned to make it after marriage. I am sharing my MIL’s style arachuvitta sambar that has a strong coriander seeds flavor with Chinna vengayam.
If you want to try sambar with Sambar Powder click the link for the Sambar Powder recipe and this link for Kadamba Sambar Made with Sambar Powder. Both the recipes are foolproof recipes, tried by many of my readers.
Coming to Rasam Here is the homemade fresh rasam recipe without any rasam powder. This is one most requested recipe by readers and many tried this rasam recipe.
Tips to make Perfect tambrahm style arachuvitta sambar,
- Very important for arachivitta sambar roast the ingredients, always roast the ingredients at low flame. If ingredients burn then the sambar flavor will get lost. So keep in low flame roast it. While roast always roasts the coconut at the last step.
- Next is dal, use less dal always because we are adding dal while roasting also. use dal as given in the measurement. If you more dal, the sambar will turn like porridge.
- vegetables like drum stick, brinjal, capsicum, yellow pumpkin we can use. Shallot alone makes sambar very tasty.
- After adding the masala, make sure that we are boiling the Sambar for at least 7 to 10 mins so that the raw smell completely goes off from the sambar.
- This sambar stays good for the next day in the fridge, if you are using the sambar the next day dilute the sambar reheat it & then use it.
Recipe Card For Arachuvitta Sambar Recipe,
- Roast & Grind Masala Ingredients:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds,
- 3 to 4 Dried red chilies,
- 1 tbsp chana dal,
- 2 tbsp grated coconut,
- ⅓ tsp Fenugreek Seeds,
- Curry leaves(optional)
- To make sambar we need
- ½ cup too dal
- 2 drops oil for pressure cook dal
- pinch turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds,
- ⅓ tsp methi seeds,
- 2 dried red chili,
- curry leaves,
- 10 shallots,
- 1 tomato,
- curry leaves,
- 250g radish,
- 1 small lemon sized tamarind
- 1 cup of water
- salt as required
- Roast 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 3 to 4 Dried red chilies, 1 tbsp chana dal, 2 tbsp grated coconut, ⅓ tsp Fenugreek Seeds, Curry leaves(optional) with 1 tsp oil. Now grind the ingredients ⅓ cup water to a smooth paste. Set it aside.
- Soak 1 small lemon sized tamarind in water and extract 1 cup of tamarind water, set aside. Pressure cook ½ cup toor dal with 1 cup water & pinch turmeric,2 drops oil, mash & set aside.
- Heat a tsp oil add 1 tsp mustard seeds, ⅓ tsp methi seeds, 2 dried red chili, curry leaves, hing, fry well. Add 10 shallots, 1 tomato, curry leaves, 250g radish, fry well. let the veggies cook
- add the ground paste, cooked dal, tamarind extract, salt as needed let it boil until the raw smell of tamarind is gone.
- Sambar is ready to serve.
Step by step Arachivitta Mulangi Sambar Recipe,
Wash the mullangi(radish), Peel the skin & then chop it into thin round slices. Peel 10 shallots set aside, cut 1 medium-sized tomato set aside. few curry leaves, Soak 1 lemon sized tamarind(puli) in 1 cup of water, extract the tamarind water set aside. Pressure cook 1/2 cup Toor dal(thuvaram paruppu) with 1 cup water & a pinch turmeric powder, 2 drops oil. Once cooked mash & keep aside.
Roast 1 tbsp coriander seeds, 3 to 4 Dried red chilies, 1 tbsp chana dal, 2 tbsp grated coconut, 1/3 tsp Fenugreek Seeds, Curry leaves(optional) with 1 tsp oil. Now grind the ingredients 1/3 cup water to a smooth paste. Set it aside.
Heat a tsp oil add 1 tsp mustard seeds, ⅓ tsp methi seeds, 2 dried red chili, curry leaves, hing, fry well. Add 10 shallots, 1 tomato, curry leaves, 250g radish, fry well. let the veggies cook
add the ground paste, cooked dal, tamarind extract, salt as needed let it boil until the raw smell of tamarind is gone. Sambar is ready to serve.
Yummy Tasty Delicious Sambar is ready to serve. Serve it with Potato Fry or any of your favorites.
Few More Sambar Recipes,
- Varutharacha sambar(Kerala style)
- Arachuvitta Kalyana Sambar recipe
- Mysore Sambar
- Tiffin Sambar
- Capsicum Arachuvitta sambar
- Thandu Keerai Sambar
Happy Cooking !! Have a Good Day!