Vendakkai Puli Kulambu recipe for rice is delicious Kuzhambu Varieties of TamilNadu, Especially in Chennai Makkal Call it as Vendakkai Kara Kuzhambu(வெண்டைக்காய் புளிக்குழம்பு). I already have my mom’s version of Vendakkai puli kuzhambu recipe which is a spicy version and it calls for Coconut. But this is a less spicy and tangy version which doesn’t have coconut and lots of Shallots and onion added. Puli kuzhambu is nothing Tamarind gravy with fried Ladies Finger(வெண்டைக்காய் in Tamil).
Vendakkai Mor Kuzhambu is one another authentic Kulambu variety which is very famous in South India. I got a shortage of Vegetables now a day. I got only 5-6 ladies’ fingers lying inside the fridge and my vegetable delivery only tomorrow, so I quickly made egg Podimas and Vendakkai puli Kulambu for lunch. Simple Kuzhambu doesn’t require any special ingredients. In a jiffy, we can make.
Vendakkai puli kuzhambu recipe without coconut, yes you have read it right, I didn’t add coconut but still, it looks thick and delicious. The trick is that Firstly, I made the thick extract of Tamarind, and second thing at the finishing stage I let it cook in low to medium flame for around 6-9 mins to make it thick. If we follow that the Kulambu also gets the Flavor of Vendakkai.
List of Puli Kulambu or Vatha Kuzhambu Varieties you could to try,
- Kathirikai Puli Kulambu/Brinjal Puli Kuzhambu
- Pavakkai Puli Kulambu/pavakkai Puli Kuzhambu
- Karamani Kara Kuzhambu
- Poondu(garlic) Kuzhambu
- Karunaikizhangu Kara KuzhambuVendhaya Kuzhambu
- Milagu Kuzhambu
WATCH BELOW VIDEO FOR VENDAKKAI PULI KULAMBU RECIPE:
VENDAKKAI PULI KULAMBU RECIPE, HOW TO MAKE LADIES FINGER PULI KUZHAMBU
- 3 tbsp Oil (gingely oil)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Kaduku
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Vendayam / Methi
- A sprig Curry leaves
- 10 Shallots / chinna vengayam
- 200g vendakkai(ladies finger)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Lemon sized Tamarind(puli)
- Water as needed
- Soak tamarind(puli) in water for 10 mins. Squeeze and extract the juice, keep aside.Peel the shallots and cut the ladies finger.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, Once the mustard seeds started splutter add curry leaves.
- Add in shallots(chinna Vengayam) and garlic, saute well.
- vendakkai(ladies finger), saute for 5 mins till it slightly turns golden.
- Add tamarind extract and mix well.
- Add in spice powders like turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder,salt and mix well.
- Bring it to a boil, simmer for 10 to 15 mins till the oil oozses on top.
- Vendekkai Puli kuzhambu is ready now you can Serve with steamed rice.
fry the Vendakkai till golden otherwise the Kuzhambu will turn sticky.
tamarind extract should be thick or you can adjust it water according to your peference.
you can add 2 tsp sambar powder instead 1 tsp chilli and 2 tsp coriander powder.
Vendakkai Puli Kuzhambu taste good if we make it little spicy.
Some Side dishes which goes well with the Vendakkai Puli Kuzhambu recipe,
Vendakkai Puli Kulambu recipe, khuzhambu recipes , Puli Kuzhambu recipe, vendakkai Puli kuzhambu recipe, vendakkai recipe, Puli Kuzhambu recipe, how to make Vendakkai puli kuzhambu
Have a nice Day!!