Chinna Vengayam Uthappam Recipe, How to make Super soft Onion Uthappam recipe with homemade idli batter and Chinna Vengayam(SHALLOTS). Street Style Onion Uthappam is very soft, light and spongy Uthappams and topped with golden brown shallots on top & served with Onion Chutney, Sambar and Mint Chutney. I have shared the Vengaya Vadagam Chutney recipe on my Instagram page and everyone was started asking about the basic idli dosa batter recipe. I am always good at making a soft idli/dosa. While checking the blog, I didn’t post many Uthappam recipes so quickly clicked the queen of all Uthappams, Yes! Onion Uthappam the best uthappam Variety of all and my Favourite one too. What is Your Favourite Uthappam?
This Onion Uthappam aka Vengayam Uthappam is quite simple and all we need to do is have the idli batter ready to make Uthappam and then we just need to make the Uthappam and finally have some shallots/Chinna Vengayam mixture ready to complete the recipe.
A few more similar dosa/idli recipes on the blog are Kollu Idli/Dosa Recipe, Soft Stuffed Idli Recipe, Kanchipuram Idli Recipe, Kara Dosa Recipe, Cheese Dosa Recipe, Madurai Kari Dosai Recipe, Vendhaya Dosa Recipe, Onion Dosai Recipe, Paneer Dosa Recipe.
Tips and Suggestions to Make Perfect Onion Uthappam Recipe Or Vengayam Uthappam Recipe:
- Check the Recipe for the idli batter and follow the instructions given so that you will get the soft uthappams.
- Don’t spread the idli batter, as Uthappams are always should be thick only.
- Do the cooking in low to medium flame only, so that it will get cooks inside.
- For proper cooking, flip the Onion Uthappam and cook again and also cook covered for 2 minutes.
- For a variation of Onion Uthappam, you can sprinkle idli Podi, garlic Podi over the Uthappam.
- If the Vengaya Uthappam is making for kids add some grated carrots, beetroots or chopped coriander leaves can be sprinkled to make it colorful Onion Uthappam
Chinna Vengayam Uthappam video recipe:
Onion Uthappam Recipe Card:
- idli batter(4 ladles full of batter for 4 uthappams)
- 10 shallots thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 - 2 green chilis finely chopped
- Oil or ghee for cooking
- Thinly slice the shallots, finely chop the green chilis, and chop coriander leaves, keep ready.
- Heat the Tawa. Pour a ladle full of idli batter and spread it a bit(Keep it at medium flame).
- Top the dosa immediately with thinly sliced shallots, coriander leaves, and green chilis.
- Drizzle oil or ghee.
- Cover and cook it for a few seconds.
- Once the bottom turning light brown. open the lid and flip & cook the other side of the uthappam.
- Press gently using the flat spatula.
- Cook until onions are golden.
- Remove from the Tawa and Serve the Onion/Chinna Vengaya Uthappam with coconut chutney orsaagu.
Always use Chinna Vengayam(shallots) instead of Big Onions, It takes good.
I prefer Dashing of Sesame oil on top for tasty Onion Uthappam
Chinna Vengaya Uthappam Recipe, How to make Super soft Onion Uthappam recipe
Thinly slice the shallots, finely chop the green chilis, and chop coriander leaves, keep ready.
Heat the Tawa. Pour a ladle full of idli batter and spread it a bit(Keep it at medium flame).
Top the dosa immediately with thinly sliced shallots, coriander leaves, and green chilis.
Drizzle oil or ghee.
Cover and cook it for a few seconds.
Once the bottom turning light brown. open the lid and flip & cook the other side of the uthappam.
Press gently using the flat spatula.
Cook until onions are golden.
emove from the Tawa and Serve the Onion/Chinna Vengaya Uthappam with coconut chutney
I would love to hear from you. if you have made this recipe then rate the recipe or leave a comment below. if you like this recipe then do share the recipe link on Facebook(https://www.facebook.com/premasculinary), Twitter & Pinterest. for Instagram mention @premasculinary or tag #premasculinary
Happy Cooking and Enjoy the Day!!!