Thandai or Sardai is the most popular drink for Holi and Shivratri. Thandai means ‘Cold’ so the special drink is considered soothing to heart. ठंडाई in Hindi. The name ‘Thandai’ itself tempts me soo much that after coming to Dubai, once I saw a stall selling Thandai in Karama, I nagged my hubby to stop the car and get me to taste it. One sip I totally fell for Thandai, and that’s the first time I have tasted it.When I asked the person who made it he quickly gave some hints that almonds, fennel seeds, magaztari seeds (watermelon kernel), rose petals, pepper, vetiver seeds, cardamom, saffron, milk, and sugar are the main ingredients used for making Thandai. Since it is a very crowded area I couldn’t able to visit there again.So I wanted to recreate it at home. Before that Holi is around the corner wanna wish you all a very Happy Holi 2018!
I also referred here to the recipe.There may be many variations to this Thandai but I am completely satisfied with this version which will sure come very close to the one which I have tasted. I bought all the ingredients required to make Thandai from Choithrams they are selling everything for Holi Festival. If you want to buy eco-friendly Holi Color Powders in Dubai you can get it in Choithrams Silicon oasis Branch. they are selling good quality of magaztari seeds. Bought the Saffron( from Dubai food festival) very cheap 4g is Aed 80. It’s a very Special Holi 2018 with family and friends. Surely will post my Holi Pictures soon. Let’s the Thandai Recipe in detail. Do Ping me if you have any doubts and products availability surely will answer in hours.
Thandai Video Recipe Below:
Making of Thandai with Step by step Pictures,
- Let’s Prepare the Thandai Paste, Soak the nuts like almonds pistachios, magaztari seeds (watermelon kernel), black pepper, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, rose petals in warm water for 2-3 hours. Add the soaked Thandai ingredients in the mixing jar and blend it to a smooth paste. Thandai Paste is ready.
2.Take a glass add 2 tbsp Thandai paste and 1 tbsp sugar. Now add the cold milk and mix well with the paste. Thandai the extraordinary cooling drink is ready to Drink.
Garnish the Prepared Thandai with some rose petals, nuts or saffron(kesar). Always serve the Thandai with ice cubes or as cooled form.
Recipe card for Thandai Recipe:
- To make Thandai Paste we need:
- 5-6 Almonds(badam)
- 5 pistachios(pista)
- 3 cashews(khaju)
- 3 cardamon(elachi)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper(kali Mirch)
- 1 tsp Poppy seeds(khus khus)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds(saunf)
- 2-3 rose petals or rose water or gulkhand
- ½ cup warm water
- to make Thandai drink:
- 1 cup full cream cold milk
- 2 tbsp Thandai Paste
- 1 tbsp sugar
- A drop rose essence(optional)
- for garnishing rose petal, nuts or saffron
- Let's Prepare the Thandai Paste, Soak the nuts like almonds pistachios, magaztari seeds (watermelon kernel), black pepper, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, rose petals in warm water for 2-3 hours. Add the soaked Thandai ingredients in the mixing jar and blend it to a smooth paste. Thandai Paste is ready.
- Take a glass, add the thandai paste and sugar. Now add the cold milk and mix well.
- Add the garnishing like rose petal, nuts and saffron.
- Thandai is ready to serve.
My Notes To Make Perfect Thandai,
- Soaking time you can increase by 3 hours or more. If you didn’t get time to soak nuts, but want to make thandai immedietely still you can make it by dry powder the soaking ingredients. But Thandai powder will disturb while drinking so i perfer to be in thandai paste form.
- You can make the thandai paste and store in fridge whenever you want you can just mix with milk and have.
- I didnt add sugar while grinding the paste may be some people wont consume sugar and it is good to add sugar while serving the chilled thandai drink is the good idea.
- You can get the thandai syrup in market that in liquid and concentrate form you mix it with milk.
- Thandai benefits are more and it very good for health. It is too good energy drink also so dont skip the healthy ingredients for the Preparation of Thandai.
Do try this recipe and Enjoy the Hoil Festival. Love to hear from you all about your Thandai Holi i mean thandai with holi. Thanks in advance!.
Connect with us:
Read my post on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/premasculinary
Subscribe to our channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c…