There is a distinct order of serving the grand feast of Onam. Papad or Pappadum is to be served on the extreme left. On top of the big pappadum, banana is served. The banana can be ‘Rasakadali’, ‘Poovan’, ‘Palayankodan’. From the right pappad – salt, banana wafers, sarkarapuratti fries are served. After this, ginger lime and mango pickles are served. Next comes ‘vellarika’, ‘pavakka’, beetroot and ‘ullikitchadi’. ‘Khichadi’ made of pineapple and banana splits or of grapes and apple is served along with this. On the right, ‘cabbage thoran’ is served. Then comes a thoran made of beans and avil followed by bread and green peas mix ‘thoran’. The meal will be complete with the ‘avial’ and ‘kootu curry’.
Rice is served when the guests seat themselves and just two big spoons are considered enough. After this, ‘parippu’ and ghee is poured. Then comes Sambhar. Desserts are, to begin with, adaprathaman followed by ‘Kadala Payasam’. This colourful arrangement on the lush green banana leaf makes the food look even more tempting and irresistible .
Hold on…Be a little patient….you need to wait for a little before you start gorging the lip smacking meal. There are some rituals which need to be followed. First, full course meal is served for Lord Ganapathi in front of a lighted oil lamp (Nila Vilakku). This is in accordance with the Malayalee trend of starting everything in the name and presence of God.
Video for Sequence of Serving Procedure of Onam Sadya 2016,
Kerala Onam Sadya Menu- Onam Sadya Recipes,
First stage in Serving, (Left corner of the Banana Leaf)
- Pazham (Ripe Banana) The banana can be ‘Rasakadali’, ‘Poovan’, ‘Palayankodan’
- Pappadam (urad dal fritters or rice fritters)
- Kerala Banana Chips (nendran Chips or salted)
- Sarkara Varatti ( Sweet chips)
Second Stage is Pickles and salt,
- Inji Puli ( Ginger Tamarind Pickle)
- Lemon Achar (lemon Pickle)
- Naranga Achar or Narthangai in Tamil (Yellow Lime Pickle)
- Manga Achar (Mango Pickle)
Next comes Side dishes like dry and semi-dry varieties,(top centre of the banana Leaf)
(check my top 5 pachadi recipefor dry curry)
- Beetroot Pachadi (Beetroot in Yoghurt with spiced coconut)(refer Pachadi Recipe)
- Pineapple Pachadi ( Pineapple in Yoghurt with coconut)
- Pavakka Pachadi(Fried Pavakka in Yoghurt with coconut)
- Vellarikka Kichadi (Thick Yoghurt with Kerala Cucumber)
- Vendakka Kichadi (Thick Yoghurt with Lady’s Finger)
- Cabbage Thoran(stir fried cabbage with coconut)
- Beans Carrot Thoran(Stir fried Cabbage with coconut)
- Olan (Pumpkin in Coconut Stew)
- Ethakka Kurukku Kaalan (Sweet banana in yoghurt curry)
- Manga Kurukku Kaalan
- Erissery (Mathanga Van Payar Erissery – Pumpkin Red Beans Dish)
- Aviyal (Mixed Vegetable)
- Koottu Curry (Mixed Vegetable with Roasted Coconut and Peas)(not in banana leaf)
The top portion of the banana leaf is completely filled, let’s go to the down part of the banana leaf.
Next, Comes in the middle of the banana leaf
- Boiled Rice (Palakkadan Matta Brown Rice or White Rice)
- Parippu Curry (Moong Dal Curry with Coconut)
- Nei (Ghee or Clarified Butter)
- Sambar (Vegetable Toor Dal Curry)
- Pulissery or Moru Kachiyathu (Yoghurt Curry with or without Coconut)
- Rasam ( Spicy Curry Soup)
Next, serving is the dessert,
- Ada Pradhaman (Rice Ada – Rice Pasta – and Jaggery or sugar in Coconut Milk)(check my variation of caramel in Ada Pradhaman Recipe)
- Semiya Payasam (Vermicelli and Milk based Dessert)
- Parippu Payasam (Channa Dal and Jaggery in Coconut Milk)
- Paal Payasam (Dessert made with Rice and Milk)
Now we come to the end of serving Buttermilk,which is good for digestion
- Morum Vellam (Kerala Spiced Buttermilk)
Few recipes are without Recipe link, it can be published soon. Try these recipes and let me know your feedback.
The complete Onam Preparation Ideas and Procedures i got inspired by my friends, Anjali(blogger at www.guttans.com) & Veena. Special Thanks to them !!!