Hyderabadi Chicken dum biryani recipe, is very famous and also the one which makes in restaurant tastes amazing. Though i had it almost 10 yrs back and still the taste remind in my tongue. Whenever i feel boring with usual meal i will make briyani at home. Home made biryani is always better than the restarant one. One day before our usual ladies meet we were talking about briyani varieties, a friend just came from USA told the speciality of Chicken dum briyani available in Hyderabad biryani house Milpitas. Got inspired next day itself i made Hyderabadi dum biryani recipe.
I have used Vegetarian Chicken for this recipe, if you are making the non vegetarian version of Hyderabadi dum biryani recipe then just replace the Vegetarian chicken to Chicken or your favourite vegetables. But cooking time is different so make sure that it chicken or vegetables whatever you are adding is cooked properly or not before adding the rice. Do check the Dindigul Thalappakatti Biryani Recipe.
How i made this hyderabadi dum biryani recipe, This is not like other biryani like you need so much of onion,ghee and other ingredients. Very simple briyani with less ingredients and less fat. Not much effort is required to make this. If you are planing to make 20-30 people this briyani is very good option because you will make masala in one side and cook the rice in other side and put dum thats it, briyani ready so simple is it? First make the Home made Briyani masala, then ground the chillies, mint and coraiander leaves, ginger garlic paste, only these things you need to make ready. You can make Hyderabadi dum biryani recipe a day before and then you can make this briyani in 30-40 mins. You can clearly understand if you see the step by step procedures and video of Hyderabadi dum biryani recipe.
- Let us see How to make hyderabadi dum biryani with step by step Procedures,
- Hyderabadi Dum Biryani Recipe Video
- How to cook rice for dum biryani(arisi padham) and layer the rice for hyderabadi dum biryani:
- How to put dum with Charcoal for hyderabadi dum biryani:
- Tips to make Perfect Hyderabadi Dum Biryani:
- How to serve Dum Biryani:
- Hyderabadi Veg Dum Briyani Recipe Below
Let us see How to make hyderabadi dum biryani with step by step Procedures,
1.corse powder the 2-inch cinnamon, 5 cardamom, 5 cloves, 3-star anise,keep aside.
2.Take 5-6 green chilles grind coarsely,keep aside
3.Take 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
4.mince the coriander and mint leaves
5.I have used vegetarian chicken, you can use chicken(450 g). Add it in a briyani bowl.
6.Now add all the ground ingredients with the chicken.
7.Add 1 tsp chilly powder, 1/3 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp salt.Add one hand full fried onions.Add 1/3 cup oil or ghee
Add 1/3 cup curd,mix everything well.Add 1/3 cup water, close it with the lid.
8.keep it in the stove in low flame, let the chicken to cook well.
9.Add 2 cups rice and 4 cups water in a rice cooker.Add a tsp salt and boil the rice.
the rice has to be 75% or ¾ᵗʰ cooked.
10.Once the chicken becomes soft, add 3/4 th cooked rice by layer.
11.Add the orange food colour, garnish it with mint leaves,close it.
12.burn charcoal and add it on top of the lid. keep dum for 15-30 mins. After 30 mins you can serve the biryani.
Hyderabadi Dum Biryani Recipe Video
How to cook rice for dum biryani(arisi padham) and layer the rice for hyderabadi dum biryani:
Rice consistency is very important. As i said before the rice should have to cook 3/4th that is if you touch it with your hand the rice should little soft and you can able to press. Stop the rice cooker at this level drain the rice and remove the excess water. Veggie and meat takes time to cook so first start cooking the dum masala with veggie or meat first and then you can start cooking the rice. After putting the dum don’t mix the rice hardly. beacuse the rice might chances to break.
How to put dum with Charcoal for hyderabadi dum biryani:
Actually people make dum biryani in a big mud stove called munaduppu or kari aduppu. Once the rice added to the masala, we have add this burnt charcoal on top to stop the steam come out from the biryani pot at the same time,the rice also cook well in the steam. That is why we are adding the charcoal at the top of the biryani pot. The smoky flavour of dum biryani is real methoad making dum biryani. I know now a days we are not using any kariaduppu so you can get the BBQ charcoal in all the supermarkets. Get it burn it in stove top and then use the tong,keep it on top of the lid. i hope you can understand how to put Dum now.
Tips to make Perfect Hyderabadi Dum Biryani:
- While grinding the biryani masala, don’t ground every thing into very smooth paste. Try to grind it coarsely.
- I have added the vegetarian chicken, if you are vegetarian you can soya chunks, mixed vegetable like carrot,beans,peas etc or cauliflower, panner. If you are non veg lover then you can add chicken or any other meat or egg also. But cooking time for everything is different.
- i have added oil to my birayani you can add ghee.
- Cooking the rice is very important, don’t break the rice while cooking.Layer it carefully
- i just added 2 cups rice so i can put one layer in dum but if you added more rice then put one layer of rice in between garnishing and the again another layer of rice and again garnishing.
- after putting the dum don’t open the lid immediately let it undisturbed atleast for 20mins.
How to serve Dum Biryani:
As i told serving the Dum biryani itself is an art. First dig the laddle inside directly into biryani take out the masala chicken first keep in plate and then the rice part.If you serve like this the serving plate looks very colourful. Serve it with biryani kathirikai or chalna or raita.
Hyderabadi Veg Dum Briyani Recipe Below
- 2-inch cinnamon
- 5 cardamom
- 5 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 5-6 green chilles
- coriander and mint leaves
- 450 g mixed vegetables or veg chicken
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ⅓ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp salt
- one hand full fried onions
- ⅓ cup oil or ghee
- ⅓ cup curd
- To cook rice we need:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- to garnish:
- Orange food color
- fried onions
- mint leaves
- To put dum:
- course powder the 2-inch cinnamon, 5 cardamom, 5 cloves, 3-star anise,keep aside.
- Take 5-6 green chillies grind coarsely,keep aside
- Take 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- mince the coriander and mint leaves
- I have used vegetarian chicken, you can use chicken(450 g). Add it in a biryani bowl.
- Now add all the ground ingredients with the chicken.
- Add 1 tsp chilly powder, ⅓ tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp salt.Add one hand full fried onions.Add ⅓ cup oil or ghee.Add ⅓ cup curd,mix everything well.Add ⅓ cup water, close it with the lid.
- keep it in the stove in low flame, let the chicken to cook well.
- Add 2 cups rice and 4 cups water in a rice cooker.Add a tsp salt and boil the rice.
- the rice has to be 75% or ¾?? cooked.
- Once the chicken becomes soft, add ¾ th cooked rice by layer.
- Add the orange food colour, garnish it with mint leaves,close it.
- burn charcoal and add it on top of the lid. keep dum for 15-30 mins. After 30 mins you can serve the biryani.
Have a nice Weekend!!!