pidi kozhukattai or uppu kozhukattai or spicy kozhukattai or kara kozhukattai with step by step pics and video – pidi kozhukattai is nothing but kozhukattai which can be made on our palm ,Pidi means ‘to hold’ in Tamil, the impression which is made on the top the kozhukattai is called pidi kozhukattai. The other names are uppu pidi kozhukattai, uppu kozhukattai. Those who doesn’t like the sweet version of kozhukattai try this kara(spicy) kozhukattai. Even my daughter remove the puranam in kozhukattai and have only the outer cover of the kozhukattai so for those who love spicy they can make it. You can also make pidi kozhukattai with rice flour, just roast the store bought rice flour and then proceed the below steps. sweet pidi kozhukattai recipe updating soon.If you want to try healthy kozhukattai recipe check this moondal kozhukattai recipe.
Do check the other kozhukkatai recipes like ULUNDU KOZHUKATTAI RECIPE, SESAME KOZHUKATTAI RECIPE | ELLU KOZHUKATTAI RECIPE, AMMINI KOZHUKATTAI, mothagam or puran kozhukattai .
Do check the how to make kozhukattai dough recipe video here to make Mothagam or Kozhukattai.
Lets see the step by step Method of Uppu Pidi Kozhukattai | kara Kozhukattai | Spicy Kozhukattai Recipe:
Heat oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal and bengal gram dal, when dal turns golden brown, add red chillies, hing and curry leaves.Then add grated coconut and saute for a few minutes.Add water and salt needed (the quantity of water will vary from 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup for 1 cup of rice flour, depending on the quality of rice). Note – i didn’t add salt since i have used the store bought idiyappam flour so they already added salt in it.
Do check the how to make Pidi kozhukattai or kara kozhukattai recipe video :
- Rice flour or idiyappam flour -1 cup
- Salt needed(chk idiyappam flour ingredients, if salt already added skip salt)
- For the seasoning :
- Oil -2 tsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp,
- Split Urad dal -1 tsp
- Bengal gram-channa dal -1 tbsp
- Red Chillies -2,
- Hing/asafoetida -a pinch
- Curry leaves - few,
- Grated coconut -3/4 cup (fresh )
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add urad dal and bengal gram dal, when dal turns golden brown, add red chillies, hing and curry leaves.Then add grated coconut and saute for a few minutes.Add water and salt needed (the quantity of water will vary from 1 cup to 1½ cup for 1 cup of rice flour, depending on the quality of rice). Note - i didn't add salt since i have used the store bought idiyappam flour so they already added salt in it.
- When water starts boiling, lower the flame, add the rice flour with one hand and keep stirring,switch of the stove and remove from heat and transfer to a plate. grease your hand and take a small ball and press it on your palm and it will give the shape as seen in the picture above. Repeat the same process for the rest of the dough.Pidi kozhukattai is ready to serve.
Happy Vinayagar chaturthi /ganesh chaturthi to all!!!