Unfortunately, I didn’t take the step by step pictures because i thought it will not come properly without a puttu maker and just tried. But I got it perfectly, am sure I will attach the pics next time while making puttu.Also i don’t have any plan to buy a puttu maker also:)
How i made kuzha puttu without puttu maker??
1.You can make puttu uisng the puttu maker ,if not just mix the puttu maavu with salt and sprinkle little water over it.mix well with your finger tips.When you take a handful of flour and press it between your fist, it should hold its shape, when you press it again a little harder, it should crumble. That is the right consistency.Add coconut and steam it in a idli steamer,like how we usualy steam idli.
2.To make the shape of kuzha puttu,I used the filter coffee maker(only the filter part), a good idea is it. just grease the coffee filter with ghee and then fill the puttu maavu inside it with layers of coconut and kept it in the idly steamer and steamed it. Once done take it out let it cool for some time and then slightly shake it over a plate, it will come out and serve it with kadala curry.
How to use puttu maker???
If you are using the puttu maker first boil the water in it. Meanwhile layer the puttu kutty (cylindrical tube) first with a little grated coconut, then add 2 fistful of puttu flour.Then again add grated coconut followed by puttu flour.Repeat the same process until the mould/puttu kutty is full ending it with grated coconut. Now keep it over the puttu steamer and steam it for 5-8 mins.
Kuzha Puttu Recipe,
- 1 cup Puttu flour
- Grated coconut, as needed
- ½ - 1 cup Water
- Salt as needed
- Take puttu flour in a bowl. Add a little salt.mix it.
- Add water little at the time and mix well with your finger tips.When you take a handful of flour and press it between your fist, it should hold its shape, when you press it again a little harder, it should crumble. That is the right consistency.
- The flour should be crumbly and moist. There should be no lumps.
- Fill the flour in puttu maker or in a coffer filter and steam it for 5-8 mins.
- When you get a nice flavor of steamed puttu, switch off.let it cool for sometime .Open it and gently push the puttu using a wooden ladle or turn it into a plate.
- Serve hot with kadala curry or payaru and pappadam or small yellow banana and sugar.
Puttu maavu should be processed otherwise you will not get soft puttu.
You can use the puttu next day also if you have not added the coconut.