Arisi Koozh Vathal or Vadam Recipes , few weeks back i have posted the recipes with step by step pictures. To attract the kids we can make vathal using different molds (achi ) and also serve them as a snack for the kids. Making arisi koozh vadam with idiyappa mould or omapodi mould is a cool idea too because if we use idiyappa achi, compared with murukku achi or ribbon pakoda achi it will take very less time to dry and at the same time kids love the shape of the koozh Vathal. Preparing the dough for koozh vathal is also very easy.
If you check my pakoda vathal or killu vathal recipe, is just a simple vadam recipe using the left over rice .Since it is summer season if we make and store vathals ,the whole year we can make use of them. All my vathal batches are over and the happiest part is that i made everything on my own hands:) Now i have the confident that i can pack vathal for my daughters in future:)
Lets see how to prepare rice vadam or arisi koozh vadam in few easy steps.
- 4 cups rice
- ½ cup sago flour
- 5 green chillies
- ½ tsp hing
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 lemon
- 1 and ½ tsp salt
- 3 cups water
- Soak rice overnight and next day morning,grind it to a smooth paste.
- Grind the green chilies and jeera with little water.Then heat the pan add the grinded chilly paste,hing let it to boil and then add water and salt ,let it to boil.
- Meanwhile mix sago flour with the grinded rice dough and mix before use.
- Once water boiled well add in the rice dough slowly little by little ,keep starring. Make sure the lumps should not formed. Keep staring it once it become thick stop the stove.Finally add the lemon juice and let it cool for some time.
- Now drop the dough into the murukku press and use the idiyappam or omapodi mould,press it over a cloth or on a plastic sheet. Keep it in hot sun evening take it out the same day and keep it in the plate.Next day keep that again in the hot sun , repeat this for 2 days or till it dry completely.Once it becomes dry change it into air tight container ,you can keep it for an year also.Fry it in oil and serve.
Adding lemon juice give the koozh tangy taste,after cooling.
Instead of grinding raw rice,you can use rice flour also for recipe check this version also
If you are using cotton cloth for squeezing,sprinkle water to remove the dried vadams from the cloth for easy removal and dry it completely.
While squeezing if you find it is very hard to do then take the flour out and then add little hot water mix again.Then fill it in murukku press and press it.
Do check my recent post arisi appalam recipe ,if you want to try appalam recipes.
Have a wonderful Day!!!