It’s been a long time i am waiting to post this recipe but because of lack of time i couldn’t able to.This is also one of the preparations for navratri.Soaking and cooking the dried beans is not so easy as it takes too much time and sometimes we forgot to soak it. if we soak in hot water the next day , the bean wont get cooked properly or it takes more time to cook so lets prepare it on time and store it.Not only for festival but also keep a bag of cooked beans in fridge handy helps us to make many dishes.
This post helps the beginners to get idea about to cook the dry beans for making sundals and other recipes. Below some information which i browsed and shared here and some are my personal suggestions.Please ignore if any thing i mentioned wrongly.
Dry beans varieties such as: Adzuki, Black, Black-eyed, Black Turtle, Garbanzo, Great Northern, Kidney, Lentils, Lima, Mung, Navy, Pink, Pinto, Small Red, Soy, and Split-pea can all be dried and stored.
How to buy Dried Beans?
Beans are available in the grocery store in two forms: canned and dry.
- Dry beans are much Cheaper and lower in sodium.
- Canned beans are more convenient but sodium level is so high and also costlier. Hence buying dry beans and storing them in proper way is the wise idea.
whatever dry beans you plan on purchasing from your market. The surface of the bean should be smooth, firm, uniform in size and colour.In fact the colours of the beans should be bright. Avoid any beans that are broken, blistered looking, wrinkled or shrivelled.
If you decide you want to try dried beans, don’t get a larger bag and use for one year.Get it in small quantity , cook and store it.
How to clean dried beans?
- Use a white plate or bowl and sprinkle a few on the plate to search for dirty beans, tiny stones or damaged, wrinkled or broken beans that may be mixed in with the good beans.
Remove any misshaped or damaged beans, dirt or stones.
- Rinse well with water before adding beans to a large bowl
- Add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches
- Beans will be fully hydrated within 4 hours, but can soak for up to 8 hours(hrs depends upon the beans)
How to Cook Dried Beans :
Cook the Dried beans with the same amount of water which you have soaked it.Once its cooked and don’t through the water and use it for cooking.
Don’t add salt while cooking it will slow down the process.Once done mash it using your fingers it will easily get mash otherwise re cook it one more time.
Soaking and cooking time differ from beans to beans so check the below table and find what kind of Dried beans you are using and then proceed.
|Dried Beans(1 cup)||Soaking Time|| Cooking Time
( on stove top )
| Cooking Time
(on Pressure Cooker)
|Adzuki||7-8 hours||40 mins||30 mins (3 whistles)|
|Anasazi beans||7-8 hours||50-60 mins||20 mins (4 whistles)|
|Black Beans||7-8 Hours||50-60 mins||20 mins (4 whistles)|
|Black-eyed Peas||3 Hours||30 mins||15 mins (3 whistles)|
|Butter Beans||7-8 Hours||60-90 minutes||25 mins (4 whistles)|
|Garbanzo Beans||7-8 Hours||1 and 1/2 Hours||25 mins (4 whistles)|
|Lima Beans, large||7-8 Hours||40-45 mins||30 mins (3 whistles)|
|Pea Beans||7-8 Hours||50-60 mins||20 mins (4 whistles)|
|Soya Beans||7-8 Hours||2 and 1/2 hours||35 mins (4 whistles)|
How to Store Dried Beans?
- Refrigerator: Transfer the cooked beans in a Tupperware container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Let the beans cool completely. Portion into Ziploc bags. Lay bags flat on side and stack to store in the freezer. When you need to use them, just remove a bag, smack it against the counter to loosen up the beans and either pour directly into the pan of whatever you’re cooking to let them thaw, or pour into a bowl and defrost in the microwave.
- Dry beans should always be cooked in soft water or they will be tough..
- You can add a pinch of baking soda to the pot if you have hard water.
- Adding salt to beans at the beginning of cooking toughens the skins and increases cooking time.