This rice preparation is well-known all over south india, although there are likely to be mild variations in the way it is performed in various regions.It is ideal to pack and take along when travelling.
Serves : 2-3
- 2 cups rice, cooked or leftover rice
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 2 dried red or green chillies
- 1 tsp Bengal gram
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- A generous pinch of turmeric powder
- A generous pinch of asafoetida
- few sprigs of curry leaves
- 2-3 tsp of sesame oil
- salt to taste
- If you have any left over rice,you can use it.If cooking fresh, then cook with 2 cups of water for 1 cup rice.Spread this rice on a plate to cool.
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper it with dried red chilli,mustard seed,urad dal,hing and curry leaves.Once the mustard seeds splutter.Add the peanuts and fry it.
- Switch off the stove and squeeze the lemon in the kadai.
- Now add salt and turmeric powder and mix well. Now add the rice and mix well.
- You can use any rice,but make sure that rice should not be mushy.
- Instead Sesame oil you can use any odorless oil.
- Always add the lemon juice once switched off the stove.