Long back i made a fondant cake using gelatin and vegetable shorting.It’s quite difficult for beginners but taste excellent.I got a mail from the reader requesting the fondant deco so i thought of making this post in detail.Marshmallow Fondant is very easy to make so i suggest this deco for beginners to try.
To make Fondant we need:
4 cups Marshmallows
4 cups Powdered sugar/icing sugar
2 tbsp Water
Food Coloring or flavors(optional)
How to make Fondant:
You can melt the marshmallows by 2 ways one way by melting it in microwave and another method by double boiling method.
If you are using your microwave then place the marshmallows and the water in a large microwave-safe bowl.Microwave on high for 1 minute, until the marshmallows are puffy and expanded.Keep stirring in between.If you are using double boiling method follow below steps.
Take marshmallows and water in a vessel.Boil water in a pan once it started steaming,place the vessel containing the marshmallows and keep stirring.Once it started melting and puffing remove it from stove.
Remove it from the stove.Shift the icing sugar.Add in the icing sugar and mix using spatula.Stir until the sugar begins to incorporate and it becomes impossible to stir anymore.The dough will stick on your hand initially,but adding icing sugar gradually will reduces the stickiness and the dough become soft and pliable.The fondant is now ready to use.
- If you want, you can add the flavours and colours while melting the marshmallows.
- I prefer double boiling method for beginners.
- If any unmelted marshmallow pieces remains, return to the double boil method again, until the marshmallow mixture is entirely smooth and free of lumps.
- If the dough become impossible to stir anymore while you are adding the icing sugar stop at this stage and knead the dough well.
- If you are going to use it immediately keep it at room temperature or for later use wrap it and store in a airtight container until ready to use.
How to make Fondant Rose without using any flower cutter
Even though i know to make roses using butter cream,i prefer fondant roses on my cake because the fondant make the cake look very simple and nicer.Since fondant is pliable and easy to manipulate.
To make rose we need:
Corn starch for dusting the surface and hands
A small rolling pin
How to make Roses:
Lightly dust a flat surface with corn starch and place a block of room-temperature fondant on the flour and roll it length wise.Cut the dough into equal sized using the knife.Flatten each pieces using the rolling pin.
Roll a flatten dough using your finger.Take another flatten strip and keep it in the side of the bud stretch it to the side.Keep the second petal under the unstuck edge of the first.Keep the third petal at the edge of the first and second.If you want you can repeat the same one more layer also.Using finger you can sharpen the middle part of the petals to make it more beautiful.
If you want to mix colour then flatten it into a round disk and drop colour in it.If it become sticky dough dust little corn starch on your hand and then roll it.Make thin strips and then continue with the above steps to make roses.
Here are the pretty roses are ready to dress up your cakes.Do try this simple deco on your cake and enjoy
1. Dusting your hands with Corn starch helps you make the strips to roll properly.
2.You might want to wear gloves to avoid getting food colouring on your hands during mixing,but while rolling and stretching it back you need a ungloves hands.
3.Adding more or less drops of colour increases the shade of the roses so according your wish you can add the colours.
4. If you want to make some other decorations you can also buy the cutters which is available at stores and use it.
Have a nice day!!!