Almost every one loves Gulab Jamun and is the only sweet which suits for all occasions.I have already posted the recipe for dry Gulab jam (coated with fine sugar), Koya Jamun (made of home made Koya) and normal Gulab Jamun(made of milk powder).Here I am sharing the recipe for Kala Jamun which is quick and easy to make if we have khoya and Paneer handi.Do check the recipe for home made khoya here.
1 cup Khoya/ Khova
1/2 cup Crumbled Paneer
1/2 cup Maida/Plain Flour
A generous pinch of bi carbonate of soda
1 tbsp Milk
A pinch salt
Yellow food color(optional)
Oil for deep frying
- Taw the paneer if you are using the frozen one and then crumble it using your hand.
- Crumble the khoya and add it with the crumbled paneer. Add the plain flour/maida,soda and salt with the crumbled khoya and paneer,mix well.
- Start kneading the dough without adding water.Since the khoya and paneer contains moist we no need to add water.If you feel the dough is very dry add just a tbsp of milk.
- Divide the dough into 2 parts and add yellow food colour to one part and knead well,reserve it for stuffing.
- Make the yellow dough into small balls.Then flatten the white dough,keep the yellow in the middle,close it.Make gooseberry sized balls.If you don’t want to add colour then simply make small balls and fry it.
- Heat the oil in pan at medium heat.
- Drop the balls slowly and deep fry the balls and take it out from oil.
- Meanwhile make the sugar syrup by boiling the water and sugar,till the sugar dissolves and then add the cardamom powder.Switch off the stove.Add the rose essence finally.
- Add the deep fried Jamuns into the syrup.Let the jamuns to soak for min 3 hours because the outer layer of the kala jamuns are more crispy than the normal jamuns so it takes time for soaking.