After long time here is my mom recipe.I remember when she makes this chutney we used to have uncountable number of idlies.This is our fav chutney for ever.Whenever Amma makes this chutney she will reserve some onions to make onion dosai because onion dosai and tomato chutney are my fav combo.Here is the recipe.
4-5 Medium Sized Tomatoes ,Finely Chopped
3-4 Medium Sized Onions,Finely Chopped
3-4 tbsp Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Urad Dal
A sprig Curry Leaves
1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder
5-10 Dry Red Chillies(depends on ur spice level)
Salt as Needed
- Wash Tomatoes and keep aside.
- Soak red chillies in hot water for 10 – 15 minutes,separately.
- Finely chop the onions and Tomatoes.
- Drain the water and grind the soaked red chillies,initially without water and then add little water and grind well.
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper mustard seeds and urad dal.Once the seed splutter,add curry leaves.
- Add the finely chopped onions.Cook well in the oil,till soft.
- Now add the chopped Tomatoes.cover and cook well,till it become soft and mushy.
- Add salt and turmeric powder,again cover and cook it.
- Now add the grinded chilly paste and mix well.Cook it well until the raw smell goes.
- Cook it in low flame and let the chutney to become thick.Once the oil gets oases on top, switch off the stove.
Here is the Recipe,
For Onion Dosai We Need :
1 and 1/2 lade Idly / Dosa Batter ( for one dosa)
1 and 1/2 Finely chopped Onion
Sesame Few drops Oil(for drizzling )
- Heat the pan and then grease it with oil.
- Pour 1 and half ladle dosa batter and spread it all over the tawa.Sprinkle finely chopped onions and drizzle few drops of oil on top of the dosai.
- Cook till the down part,till it becomes light brown.Carefully turn and cook the other side.
- After few seconds check the down part,once the onion turns golden brown take it out from tawa.
Have a Nice Day!!!