Thakkali Kuzhambu is very famous in my home town.I had Thakkali Kuzhambu recently in Saravana Bhavan they used Manatha thakkali vathal in it.The tastes was really good.So I wanted to make this kuzhambu at home.It came out so well and taste delicious.
For Thakali Kuzhambu,Choose ripe tomatoes for good taste.
I used Manatha Thakkali vathal.You can use fresh manatha thakkali also.If u didn’t get the manatha thakkali then compensate it with mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds,for tempering.
3 Ripe Tomatoes
A hand full Mantha thakkali vathal / Black night shade Seeds
1 Medium Sized Onion,chopped
Few Curry leaves
1/4 cup Tamarind Extract
2-3 tbsp Gingerly Oil
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt as needed
2 and 1/2 tbsp grated Coconut
1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Roasted Gram dal
2 dry Red Chillies
- Mash the tomatoes and keep aside.
- Roast the grinding ingredients and ground it until fine paste with little water.
- Heat oil in a kadai and fry the manatha thakkali till golden brown.
- Add onion and curry leaves,fry them along with the manatha thakkali.
- Add the mashed tomatoes and fry,till the raw smell goes.
- Add turmeric powder and salt.
- Add tamarind extract and let it to cook well.
- Add the grounded paste and mix well.Cover and cook for few minutes or till the gravy becomes thick.
Here is the Thakkali kuzhambu is ready.Serve it with hot rice/idly.
Have a Nice Day!!!