I’m back with my favorite khuzhambu recipe, my daughter has school holidays due to which I was unable to blog and also my laptop crashed. I got a new laptop, school holidays are over so I have some time in hand to blog. This is a simple recipe and taste delicious.
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
11/2 cup thick Tamarind extract
100g Karunai Kizhangu cut into medium sized pieces
2 tbsp Coriander Powder
1tbsp Grated Coconut
Sometimes Karunai Kizhangu gives throat/tongue irritation while eating, but by adding tamarind extract it won’t give much irritation.Still If u feel it may irritate your tongue then Peel the skin of the Karunai Kizhangu and cut into medium sized pieces,Half cooked it and then add it into the Kuzhambu.
This is Karuvadam,my mom Prepared and sent it from india.It contains Cumin seeds,Mustard seeds,Fennel seeds,Curry Leaves,Onion etc…Iam using this alone for tempering.This will give a nice aroma for the Kuzhambu.This vadam is available in stores also.
- Heat the Oil and add the Karuvadam and shallow fry it in oil.
- Add the Onion,Garlic,salt,Tomato and Kara Karunai.
- Cover and Cook for Few minutes/Cook till the veggie get soft.
- The kizhangu get cooked well in oil so no need to boil separately. But you feel it will irritate the tongue you can half boil it and then add it at this stage.
- Add the tamarind extract to the Cooked veggie and then add the turmeric powder,sambar powder and coriander powder.Let it cook for sometime,till the raw smell goes.
- Grind the coconut into fine paste with little water and add it into the Kuzhambu.
- Once it starts bubbling at the top, slow down the flame.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes/till the Kuzhambu becomes thick.