For Paruppu Urundai:
1 tsp Oil
1 Medium sized Onion,chopped
1 Sprig Curry Leaves
Few Drum Stick Leaves for Garnishing
Salt to taste
- Soak the channa dhal and toor dhal in water for about one hour and drain the water completely.Reserve 2 tbsp of dal for masal vadai.
- Grind the remaining dal coarsely with red chilly,fennel seeds and salt.
- Add only tsp of water while grinding,because the batter should not be watery.
- Reserve some batter for vadai and transfer the remaining grinded dal into a large mixing bowl,add coriander leaves,curry leaves,onion,ginger,garlic and mix them well.
- Finally add the drum stick leaves,if u want u can add the grated coconut also at this stage and mix well.
- Make lemon sized balls and keep aside.Lets prepare the Kuzhambu.
- Heat oil in a kadai,add mustard seeds into it.Once the seeds splutter,add onion,tomato and curry leaves,fry them for a while.
- Add tamarind extract,fennel seed Powder,turmeric powder, chilly and coriander powder and cook in medium flame,till raw smell goes.
- Slowly drop the dal balls one by one,cover and cook for few minutes.
- Don’t stir the gravy because the balls will break.If you feel the ball may break then you can either steam the balls in idly steamer and add it to the gravy.I add directly into it.Cover it with a lid and cook until the balls are cooked well.
- When it boils well garnish with drum stick leaves,this gives nice flavor to the gravy.
- Paruppu Urundai Khuzhambu is ready to serve.
Paruppu urundai batter
2 tbsp Soaked dal
Oil for Frying
- We are going to use the same paruppu urundai batter for vadai.Add the reserved dal and urundai batter.
- Mix them well.
- Wet the hand and make a small ball.
- Flatten the ball using thumb.
- Heat the oil and drop the vadai slowly.
- Fry the both side and take it out.
Enjoy the delicious vadai with unique flavour.That’s makes a simple lunch into feast.
Have a nice day!