Asoka Halwa is very famous in my home town(Thanjavur).This is my family fav halwa,Amma makes this halwa almost for all occasions.This halwa can be prepared using the moong dhal(pasiparupu).Here is the recipe for Asoka Halwa.This is like Thiruvaiyaru style,they will serve hot halwa in banana leafthe taste is like divine.Do try this and sure you will fall in love with this.
1 cup Moong dal
2 tsp Wheat flour
1 and 1/2 cup Sugar
A pinch Food colour (Red)
1 tsp Cardamom powder
10-15 Cashew nuts
1 cup Ghee
- Heat a tsp of ghee in a kadai.Roast the moong dal till raw smell goes.
- Add 1/4 cup water to 1 cup moong dal and cook in pressure cooker until it becomes soft and keep aside.
- If the doesn’t cook well then give a grind in blender.
- In same kadai fry the cashews and wheat flour separately and keep aside.
- Now add the dal into the kadai and then add in the sugar.
- After adding the sugar the mix will be like water.Now add the roasted wheat and cardamom powder,mix well.
- Add in the colour and mix it without lumps.
- Add the remaining ghee and keep stirring.
- Add in the cashew nuts and mix well.
- Stir well till it should become a non sticky paste but not too hard.
At this stage remove the Kadai from the stove.
Do try and Enjoy the halwa
Have a Nice Day!!!