How the karadayan nombu came and why we need to do it?
If u read the below story,you can understand.
The story of Satyavan and Savitri.
Find the exact time when Maasi month ends and Panguni month starts. The pooja is to be performed at this time,this year the time is 8pm(sg time).Three things required is yellow thread(saradu),butter and karadai dish.
Karadai Nombu Thread: Take a yellow thread and tie few flowers and two pieces of turmeric pieces in the middle. When the thread is tied around the neck, the flowers will be like a decoration on a necklace and the turmeric in the center like a pendant.
- No other special dish required.
- Asual like our normal pooja,clean the house and put kolam in the pooja area.
- Put flowers for the god photos and keep some fruits.
- Only thing is that fasting begin at sunrise and 8pm(ends at the massi month ends and panguni month begins)
- The fasting is too long so can have fruits but dont cook or eat rice.
- Prepare the karadai dish and place it on the banana leaf and other items are banana,bittel leaf and nuts,unbroken coconut and butter.
- Arrange everything 10mins before and the nivediya is offered to the goddess.
- It can be offered by sprinkling some water and ringing the bell or by performing an arati.
Chant associated with Savitri Nombu
Urugda Venaiyum orundaiyum nan tharuven.
Oru kalamum yen kanavan yenaai piriyath iruka vendum
(I offer adai and butter to you. So that my husband and I never separate)
Then the devotee can wear the yellow thread with flowers and turmeric around the neck.
After prayers and the fast is broken by eating a Karadai adai.
That which is left on the banana leaf is distributed as prasad along with Karadai dish.
How to make Sweet Karadai :
1 cup of rice flour
¼ cup of Karamani (Cowpeas)
1 cup Grated Jaggery
¼ cup of grated or finely chopped coconut
3 cardamon crushed or 1/3 tsp powder
1 and 1/2 cup Water
- Roast the rice flour – stop when it is off white to light brown color(the consistency should be like the rice powder used for drawing kolams).
- Once roasted properly keep the rice flour aside.
- Slightly roast the Karamani and then pressure-cook till soft and drain the excess water.
- Boil water. Add the rice flour slowly to prepare the dough.
- Stir well to avoid lumps.
- Cook till the dough achieves a thick consistency.
- Add jaggery to the dough and stir well until both blends together.
- Add cardamom powder, cooked Karamani and coconut and stir well to blend.
- Cook the dough on small or medium flame. Keep stirring until the dough thickens.
- Allow dough to cool.
- Make balls of the cooked rice flour and flatten on leaves.
- Make a hole in the center of the non-cooked kara adai or patties just as in a donut. Make as many as possible with the available batter.
- Steam the patties in an idly-cooker
- Now the karadai is ready for nevediyam
Savoury Adai :
1 cup Rice flour
1/4 cup Karamani
1/3 cup Grated Coconut or coconut bits
1-2 Green chillies
Mustard 1 tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Hing ½ tsp.
Curry leaves a few sprigs
Oil 1 tbsp.
Salt to taste
Method of Praparation for Savoury Adai:
- Roast the rice flour to a golden brown colour.
- Pressure cook the karamani in just enough water, until half done.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the hing. Add the mustard.
- When mustard starts spluttering, add the urad dal, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add 2 cups of water, salt to taste and the coconut gratings.
- When the water starts boiling add the karamani and rice flour and cook until all the water is absorbed. Allow to cool.
- Make balls of the cooked rice flour and flatten on leaves and steam for 10 mnts.
- Now it is ready for nevediyam
All the best!!!