This is my Fav Kuzhambu/Kulambu recipe ever.Milagu kuzhambu and Paruppu Thogaiyal would be our fav combo.Here am sharing my mom’s version of milagu kuzhambu,i will post the recipe of paruppu thogaiyal soon.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
1 tbsp Sesame oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
A sprig Curry leaves
10 Shallots, peeled
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 and 1/2 cup water
Salt to taste
To dry roast and powder:
4 Dry red chillies
1 tbsp Peppercorns
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Toor dal
1 tbsp Coriander seeds
A generous pinch hing
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water and squeeze out the pulp.Keep aside.
- Heat a pan and dry roast the dry red chilly, peppercorns, cumin seeds, toor dal, coriander seeds one by one till they come to a light golden in colour.
- Cool the mixture.Then add hing and powder it,keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and temper the mustard seeds.Once it started splutter add in the shallots and curry leaves,fry well till it becomes soft.
- Add in the tamarind extract and 1 cup water into the kadai,boil well.Add Turmeric power and salt.
- Once the kuzhambu started foaming,add in the freshly grounded powder and mix well.Cover with lid and let it boil for sometime.
- Once the oil oozes at the top,remove it from the stove.
Here is the simple,yet delicious lunch is ready!!!
- Peppercorns are too good for health so don’t reduce the quantity of peppercorns,if you feel the kuzhambu is spicy then reduce the amount of dry chillies before powder it or you can add ghee or gingerly oil into the rice while having it.
Have a Nice Day!!!